1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sick chick Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jarcoo0153, Jul 3, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have a chick that sits with his eyes close. He peeps constantly. He doesn't drink or eat. I've tried to make him drink some water with a little apple cider vinegar in it. In case it is a sour craw.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    I had two that arrived dead yesterday, and the rest were doing all fine.

2. jjparke

jjparke Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    If it can't eat or drink on its own then it can't live and should be put down immediately.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Can you dribble some sugar water, a drop at a time along the side of his beak? He may take in small amounts that way. The other thing you could try would be some vitamins. Poly-vi-sol without iron, a couple of drops, dribbled along his beak might perk him up enough that he could start drinking and eat a bit. If he just arrived yesterday, it could be that the journey was just too rough or the conditions too hot for him and he may not survive, but trying what I suggested would give him the opportunity to declare himself. Good luck with your little guy.

4. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Ive stuck his beak in some sugar water, and he is drinking a little. He also ate a little too. But he still chirps a lot, I have yet to see him poop. So I am starting to think he might be stopped up.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Pasty butt in chicks is fairly common and can kill them. Check his backside right away and clean him up if the vent is "pasted" over with poo. You can try giving the chick some scrambled eggs too, it's a good boost for those that aren't doing well and they really like them so will usually eat even if they're not interested in their regular food.

6. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    He doesn't have a pasty butt, but I will try scrambled eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: