Sick chick Help!

jarcoo0153

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Levelland, Texas
I have a chick that sits with his eyes close. He peeps constantly. He doesn't drink or eat. I've tried to make him drink some water with a little apple cider vinegar in it. In case it is a sour craw.
Anybody have any ideas?
I had two that arrived dead yesterday, and the rest were doing all fine.

Can you dribble some sugar water, a drop at a time along the side of his beak? He may take in small amounts that way. The other thing you could try would be some vitamins. Poly-vi-sol without iron, a couple of drops, dribbled along his beak might perk him up enough that he could start drinking and eat a bit. If he just arrived yesterday, it could be that the journey was just too rough or the conditions too hot for him and he may not survive, but trying what I suggested would give him the opportunity to declare himself. Good luck with your little guy.

Ive stuck his beak in some sugar water, and he is drinking a little. He also ate a little too. But he still chirps a lot, I have yet to see him poop. So I am starting to think he might be stopped up.

Pasty butt in chicks is fairly common and can kill them. Check his backside right away and clean him up if the vent is "pasted" over with poo. You can try giving the chick some scrambled eggs too, it's a good boost for those that aren't doing well and they really like them so will usually eat even if they're not interested in their regular food.

Back
Top Bottom