1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Sick chick??! Help!*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tripp16, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone so Im worried about one of my RLW chicks. She is about 5 weeks old and is almost if not all feathered out.

She was fine yesterday but today she just stays puffed up and stays in one place like shes trying to sleep she doesnt lay down though. She has been like this all day. Any ideas on what this could be??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks in Advance! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Did you check her body for injuries? One of my hens was attacked by a dog (I didn't know it until I checked her out) and had a large bit underneath her wing. She was acting the same way - standing by herself, all puffed up and reluctant to move.

3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Sorry I can't help you. You might want to move this to Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. Hope someone there can help you.

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ok thanks.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you have a dog crate/cage, you might bring her in the house to observe her so you can find out: Is she eating/drinking? How do her droppings look? It's obvious that she's not feeling well, but there could be 1001 different reasons for not feeling well. The more info. you're able to give, the more help we'll (hopefully) be able to offer.

If she won't eat her crumbles, will she eat treat type foods like scrambled egg???

6. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well they have been in their brooder/pen all day my dogs cant get to them or any other predator.... [​IMG]

7. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Shes eating and drinking fine. Thats the one thing she will be come for is food and water but then she goes back to being the same way.... [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are you guys having any unseasonable weather?
    I'd give her overnight, and if she's still staying hunched/puffed up tomorrow, I'd post in the emergency section.

9. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well I woke up to it being 40 degrees outside and raining. Still acting weird Im headed to the emergencie area. [​IMG]

10. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Try using a powder that u mix in with water called save a chick.. It saved my chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by