Sick chick maybe or maybe not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Huskeriowa, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

I went to the post office and picked up the chicks today. I noticed when I opened the package at the post office that one chick was in the corner with the eyes closed with all the other packed around her. Since getting them home six hours ago she seems to stand off alone from the rest. Also upon getting her home she scared me because I thought she had the spraddled leg that I had read about here since her stance was wider than the others and when she ran her gate wasn't smooth and she fell down a lot. Her stance now seems correct but she is still off on her own and sort of stands there most of the time with her eyes closed and sometimes weaving forward and backward or shaking maybe.

I got water down her with the vitamins etc and she has gone on her own and eaten food which I suppose is encouraging. If it matters, she is a salmon favorille and I read from somewhere that they aren't the most hardy of chicks. She has had water, and food and her vent is clear. Have I done everything I can to help her survive? Or am i being paranoid and this isn't an indication of anything at all?

Oh and also one word of warning to others that get chicks.... I had the brooder all set up and the thermometer read 92 degrees. When I put the chicks in they avoided the heat so I went and threw another thermometer in to double check and it read 103 degrees. It may be a good idea to double check the temps with a second thermometer so that you don't have this issue.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I've never shipped chicks (Farm supply [​IMG] ) But I hear that post shipping stress will do that to them. Get her a small stuffed animal or a pair of "folded" socks and "snuggle" the animal/socks around her. After that just leave her be. Make shure that she can remove herself from the cuddle if she wants. She is most likely in shock and does not want to be jossled by the other chicks.

3. Huskeriowa

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply. I had chickens when younger and was convinced I wouldn't freak if one acted a bit off. I guess I was wrong:)

4. Huskeriowa

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Well hopefully tomorrow will be an improvement. The rest of the group runs to food together and then runs to sleep together. She is just standing there mainly. When she is with a group which isn't typical she seems to get knocked down. I water her with a spoon but thats about all she wants to do. I am hoping she is just too tired from the trip.

5. heyjude1

heyjude1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    My babies just arrived and I have three that are not doing real well. I've watered them, but they won't take food. the rest are running around andeating and drinking. The ones that are "off" are salmon favorelles too. Not too sure these little ones will make it at all. they are all cuddled together and eyes are closed. They also wobble if they try to walk. We'll see.
    I will try the sock thing and see if they need some cuddling. Not sure what to do...
    If you have any more suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to lose any of them. Thank you.....
    Jude

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by