Sick Chick - Need Diagnosis - PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Tocks, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    My first hatched chick "Myra" seems to be having a problem. This little one has a really big rear end. It appears swollen. It took a lime green poop in the bator. My immediate thought was pasty butt, but pasted shut by the egg yolk because it had a lot of dried slime on it after hatching.

It's like it's butt is so heavy that it can't walk. Here's a pic of it rolled on it's back. I think it closed it's eye for the flash.

[​IMG]

And here it is on it's belly, propped on it's butt with it's legs out in front of it.

[​IMG]

I know someone here will know exactly what is going on with this chick. Is there something I can do? I gave it a couple of sips of polyvisol already, and I've given it a chicky sitz bath. [​IMG] What else can I do?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh that poor thing looks so miserable! I have never seen that before. I hope someone can help you soon. [​IMG]

3. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    Judging from the blue appearance of it's legs...it looks like it has some sort of circulation problem, or possibly is not getting enough oxygen into it's poor little lungs?

4. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    It's an EE and has slate colored legs. It hatched about 4:30 a.m. and I used the egg carton method. Do these legs look splayed? It's little bottom is just round as the egg it hatched from.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  5. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Well I'm starting to think it's all about curled toes. The chick can't walk. It's trying but wobbles like it was just hatched an hour before. Maybe it's butt isn't as big as I thought it was. I'll try to make a little boot for it.

6. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    If the chick is keeping its eyes shut that is never a good sign. I am sorry. Does it eat or drink. When I see that poor thing I dont see how it can survive. Did you try tri vi sol

7. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh no, it's not keeping it's eyes shut. That was a blink I think from the flash of the camera. It's eyes are open good and it peeps and I've held it up to the waterer for drinks and it does take sips.

I think it's something to do with either it's legs or feet. I'm pretty sure that one foot is curled somewhat. It might have splayed legs too....not sure yet. Right now it seems to be doing ok. Napping with it's other two siblings. It's gotten up and hobbled around a bit. I'm going to let it rest well tonight and see what's changed in the morning. I may have to set it's feet and legs.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Looks like splayed legs to me, I'm not sure about the belly tho. I just hatched out a chick with splayed legs. I put a bandaid brace around its legs yesterday and now its walking just fine. Give it a shot, it can't hurt [​IMG]

9. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Well, I came in from church this afternoon and my first hatched little Myra has passed. I don't know for sure what was going on with her, but her belly was big and round and I don't think she could balance that big old belly on her legs and feet. [​IMG] She sure was a cute one. The fluffiest of my EE chicks.

Everyone else is 100% healthy and running all over the brooder.

10. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    sorry to hear that chicky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by