sick chick, need help diagnosing - quick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coyoteugly, Sep 24, 2011.

1. coyoteugly

coyoteugly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    We have a 3 week old chick that has become weak and lethargic over the past two days. this morning its legs look a bit dark and, for lack of a better description, shriveled. As I was attempting to get a pic of its legs to post, a clear liquid bubble dripped out of its beak. Stools are mostly clear liquid. I cannot find any illness descriptions that seem to fit. List of symptoms: Weak, holds wings out, sits in corner, stumbles, clear liquid stool, legs deteriorating . . . Help Please!

2. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Oh no! So sorry! It sounds like he's losing a lot of liquid, is he drinking and eating? (Definitely make sure he gets some water! I found that a clean eye dropper filled with water dripped on the beak does the trick for those reluctant birds). Perhaps consider getting him some sort of electrolytes to keep him hydrated?

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you pull up in it's skin, does it snap back, or kind of stick out in a lump? That is the way I check for being dehydrated. If it is pooping liquid, something is definately wrong, try to get fluids back into him so we can diagnose before it's too late.

4. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Is the chick separated from the flock? You don't want the others to get sick if it's a virus or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by