Sick chick? Nope, just a diva...

Blue Skys

Hi Mom!!
11 Years
Nov 25, 2008
Texas
So, my neice bought a bunch of chicks that her parents did not give her permission to get. Long story short, I now have the chicks. Some are a week old and some are just a couple days old (in seperate brooders). One that is just a coule days old had a pasty butt that I cleaned, but she will not stop chirping. Very loudly. She is walking a little funny and stands all alone by herself, the others don't really seem to notice she's there at all. I'm planning on just keeping an eye on her, but does anyone know what may be going on with her?

Last edited:
She might just be bored.
smile.png

You might try giving her water that has a little bit of molassas in it. If she is still somewhat constipated, that will take care of it.

M@M@2four :

No, this sounds like cocci. This will kill a chick very quickly if not treated. Do you have any sulmet to mix in the water? Keep the butt clean and here is a link to some more info on how to treat it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137558

No bloody poop though. And she did just poop a second ago, a little watery, but mostly solid. They've been eating medicated starter.​

I have a barred rock that had the same problems and acted the same way. I gave the chick some antibiotics and it helped alot. Still smaller than the rest but she tries. Good luck with your chick
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom