Sick chick - not eating, drinking - labored breathing - pulsating vent

Yeti

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Vancouver, WA
My family and I are new to chickens - we have 2 Buff orpington, 2 Barred rock and 1 brown leghorn that are 8-9 days old. All 5 are the same age. Last evening one of the Barred rocks looked to have labored breathing and droopy wings. She would barely move and either just stand there with eyes closed or lay down. Her whole body moves alot while breathing (alot more than the other BR we got with her) and her vent seems to be pusating. I did notice a little white poop on the bottom of her vent (vent area was still clear) and cleaned it off with a warm rag. She went poop soon after, it looked normal brown/white with the same consistency as the others, but again a little white was left so I cleaned it off again and then noticed a light organe glob of jell that had also come out. Don't know if it is related or not. The chicks are fed non-medicated feed, kept in an inside brooder that is at 87-90 deg, have electrolyte and vitamins in the water that is changed at least twice a day.

Not sure what to do...

Thanks for any help.

Erik

We did have the one BR and one BO taken to my daughters class yesterday (a mile from the house). They were out of the brooder for 30 minutes so I guess she could have got chilled at that time. Any meds that help or is it just time to wait and see? I am going to try and feed boiled yolk mash and drops of water to see if she can't pull through - thanks for the help.

Erik

We used tetracycline in the water and I gave one shot daily of ampicillin which helped I actually thought the biggest chick would make it but he was just to wore out, his breathing improved with the ABT injection.

Just a quick update. The chick is doing lots better now, breathing is not labored, eating and drinking on its own. I had added vitamins and electrolytes to the water and have been feeding mashed up boiled egg yolk and water every couple of hours. I did go to the feed store to get another chick since they had 2 of the BR still from the same shipment. Went for one and they gave the other for free. Now our 3 chicks we had planned on getting turned into 7! Thanks for the help Lilly!

Erik:D

I lost a chcick last week and now it looks like I'm going to loose anoither one tonight
sad.png
. I was watching them eating and drinking, then I noticed one of them looking overly sleepy - just sitting on a branch that I put in the tub. I picked it up and noticed that it would not open its eyes - it fougt me - still lively - but refuses to eat and or drink - what should I do?

Back
Top Bottom