Sick Chick Not Eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gfcm, May 7, 2011.

1. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I noticed right off the bat when I got all my chicks that this one and her sister (Columbian Wyandottes) weren't doing well. After some research, I had decided they had failure to thrive. The sister is doing fine now. The sick one was eating, drinking, pooping okay; just sleeping a lot. Now she doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I've brought her in the house and am keeping an eye on her. Is there anything I can do to help her? Her feathers don't look right today, either. Kind of ruffled and yucky looking. I got them on April 12th and they were about a week old. She hasn't grown much at all.

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Buy some poly vi sol vitamins without iron. They are infant vitamins. I also give probios(probiotics) in the water for the first 6 weeks. The vitamins help quite a bit. Good luck.

Maybe you could try a hard boiled egg yolk. I add grit/sand when I give this.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I did the hard boiled egg yolk and she ate a little. Where do you purchase the polyvisol? Walgreens? Is it the same as you would give infants? Thank you for the tip about no iron. I wouldn't have known that! I have a dropper to use, but I'm kind of afraid to do this. I wouldn't want her to aspirate it!

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm sure Walgreens carry the polyvisol vitamins, yes, infant vitamins. I put 1ml in 4 cups water. I have a 4/5 week old chick with a respitory infection and I put 2 drops in her beak twice a day along with the treated water. I thought my SS was a goner for sure, but she survived.

5. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Thank you so much for the support Nicole01! Oh, I'm not sure about the probiotics either?

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I bought the probios on amazon.com. I use 1/4 tsp to 4 cups water. I've used this since day one and very happy with it. It's the same as giving them yogurt. [​IMG]

7. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Do you have the brand name, by chance? I know nothing about them!

8. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use probios. You can use it on any of your pets when they are sick as well.

9. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Thank you very much for your help and quick responses!!

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:No problem. [​IMG] It's been a very stressful chick week with my Maple. I put her in with my second set of chicks due to only having one heat lamp. No one else got sick, luckily. I learned a lot this past week and now I have a whole shelf full of emergency supplies including antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by