Sick chick or just settling in???? Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Goob80, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    I've just got some new chicks. One is a Polish. It is very quiet, doesn't walk around much and is very sleepy. I have seen it do a poo (white). It did eat last night. I haven't seen it drink. I just dribbled a bit of water into its beak and it swallowed it. I don't know if it's sick or maybe just settling in. I know Polish can be difficult. Also, I'm fairly new to chickens so sorry if I haven't given all the information that might be needed. Thanks in advance.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!!

She will die if she is not drinking. So, you need to pick her up and dip her beak in the water a lot everyday. Make sure she is very warm. The sleeping is very normal! Chicks usually drop over a lot because they are simply so tired!

3. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    Thanks for my very first reply! I've often read info on this site so I'm quite excited to join. Ok thanks - I'll start dipping her beak in the water right now. Should I continue trying to give her water through the syringe as well?

4. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    You can try giving her water either way. But chicks will learn to drink faster if they are dipped.

5. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    Great thanks! I'll see how she goes. What should I look for if she is sick and not just being a young tired chick?

6. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    The most common problem with little chicks is pasty butt. This will appear as caked, dried droppings around her vent. Wash this and apply coconut oil. Otherwise, if she is sick with something else, she will not move, peep very loudly, isolate herself, wheezing etc.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  7. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    Ok thanks.

8. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    Just letting you know that unfortunately we lost our little Polish tonight. She went very quickly and peacefully and didn't appear to be in any pain.

9. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Oh I'm so sorry!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by