Sick Chick or Just Small

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MadameDork, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MadameDork

MadameDork Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm new here, so HI! I got my first five chickens a week and a half ago. They will be two weeks old on Wednesday. I got two Easter Eggers (since I am aware they are not true Ameracanas [​IMG] ), two Australorps and one Rhode Island Red. Four of them have been developing pretty much at the same rate. They are roughly the same height, same length on the tail feathers and the wings are coming in the same. Except for the Australorp I call Gretta. While they were all the same size when I got them, she's only gotten slightly taller, her wings have only slightly filled in and the tail feathers are barely noticeable. Should I be concerned? She doesn't act lethargic or sickly, she just looks kind of sorry in comparison to the others.

Gretta standing in front of my EE, Hazel.
    [​IMG]

Gretta and her sister, Ethel (of course I have no idea if they came from the same hen)
    [​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The little one looks like a Marans.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] As long as Gretta is eating and drinking ok she should be ok. I do put vitamins with electrolytes in the chicks water for their first week or two. I had a chick in my last hatch like Gretta that was smaller than the rest but now I can't tell which one she was. They have all started laying eggs now. They were hatched on March 12th. I have put a couple of drops of Poly-Vi-Sol WITHOUT iron in the chicks water also.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. MadameDork

Oct 3, 2011
    Western WA
    The guy at the feed store said they were both Australorps and they looked really similar when I got them. The only way I could tell them apart then was because Ethel has more white on her head. Now I have no problem telling them apart. But I'm sure misbreeding happens often. [​IMG]

5. MadameDork

Oct 3, 2011
    Western WA
    Quote:Thank you for the comfort. Where would I find Poly-Vi-Sol? Do they sell it at normal pet stores or will I have to go to the feed store? And does the Poly-Vi-Sol have the electrolytes in it or is that a different solution? Thanks again!

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

You can get it in the vitamin isle at Walmart or any drug store. They are liquid baby vitamins. The electrolytes can be bought at a feed store. Its called Save a Chick. In a pinch you can use pedialyte which is for babies.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    She looks like my australorps. They grow in those white feathers on the wings and will lose them in their first molt and then be all black. I also have a couple of smaller chicks that I'm hoping will eventually catch up to the rest.

8. MadameDork

Oct 3, 2011
    Western WA
    Look who has tail feathers!!

[​IMG]

I added the vitamins and electrolytes to their water. It's only been a few days though. I'm just excited that she's growing something. [​IMG] She's still way behind the others, but she will get there.

9. Herechicks

Herechicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Montana
    They are australorps for sure [​IMG] mine looked like that when they were chicks. I've had some small ones and they've turned out alright. I wouldn't worry too much [​IMG]

10. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    We got 6 Australorps in July and 2 of the 5 female are still behind their sister chicks in size & weight. They are healthy, eat well, and both have more personality than their sister chicks. I make sure that my smaller ones are not prevented from eating and often place any treats near them first.

Keep a close eye that your mini chick is eating and drinking. All should be well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by