Sick chick? Or maybe just pulled an all-nighter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherB, Nov 14, 2010.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Ellsworth Twp, OH
    I have several silkie chicks that hatched a few days ago. This morning I noticed that one looked half dead... picked it up, it opened one eye, muttered at me and went back to sleep. I set it back down in the brooder but two of the others pecked at it, so in my sweater pocket it went.

Four hours later (I'll assume it's a he for this purpose!) he's still sleeping. He went to Perkins with me to have breakfast with my mother, and to the gas station. We're back on the couch now with a fluffy blanket and a heating pad. If I pick him up, one eye opens and peeks, the other stays shut. One foot (the same side as the closed eye) is curled up tight, but if I move him and he wants to get comfortable again, he stretches it back out and uses it to fix himself. If I don't have my hand around him holding his head up, it flops right over. I'm still getting lots of little peeps out of him, even when he seems to be out cold... it goes between something sounding like a chickie snore to quietly talking in his sleep. I have a shot glass full of water sitting here and I've dipped his beak here and there to make sure he's got fluids. He swallows a little, but seems to sleep right through it.

The others aren't doing this, so I can't imagine that it's normal. Is he sick? [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. HeatherB

HeatherB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Ellsworth Twp, OH
    Thanks, Dawn. Unfortunately, he didn't make it through the evening.. he just never woke back up [​IMG] When I have to go (someday waaaaay down the road), please, please let it be that way!

I haven't had any symptoms from any of the other chicks, so I have my fingers crossed... I figured last night that he was maybe just a little too weak to begin with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by