sick chick Please HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carol0710, May 20, 2008.

1. carol0710

carol0710 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Toano,Va
    I have a total of 24 chicks. a few of them have diarrhea, a couple are all very soft no form to it at all, some have form to it, but brown and running stuff with it. Others are fine.
    I am not sure what is going on.
    I am new to the chicken world and any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Carol

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    How old are these chicks? What temp do you have them at? What are you feeding them? Sometimes chicks will have a quick bout of diarrhea and nothing is wrong with them at all. Are they eating and drinking and acting normal?

3. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    I noticed with my new chicks that for a few days, even up to a week, that their poops are not very formed yet. Just like a newborn baby has meconium stools to start with, I think baby chicks do as well. I would say if they are eating well and active they must be okay. What food are you giving them? How about a supplemental vitamin additive to their water? I used quik chick vitamin/mineral supplement from McMurray as an additive for the first 3 weeks to the water with great results. Ive also read of other people using poly vi sol also. Well, hope this helps and everything goes well.

4. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I gave my new chicks plain organic yogurt. It seems to give them a jump start for the gut, and they are pooping just fine!

5. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    ooh, I forgot to mention the yogurt. I gave mine plain yogurt the first week or so and they loved it too. And it does boost the intestinal "good" bacteria that they need to digest.

6. carol0710

carol0710 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Toano,Va
    my chicks are 4 weeks old. all appear to be Eating and drinking well. I am not sure what the temp. is. They are in a 8x10 coop So just to make sure I leave the heat lamp on. They have run of the whole coop so If they get to hot they can move away. They are on start & grow for chickens.
    Thanks for youe help.
    Carol

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    How are you chicks doing? It is hard to diagnose anything over the internet. At 4 wks old I would not recommend using any meds. You can try the plain yogurt (with live cultures) and I like to suppliment with avia charge 2000. It is a complete vitamin and mineral suppliment. Your chicks might me eating bugs/flys and other little things they may find. Sometimes adding this new food to a diet will make some soft stools. I sure hope everyone is doing fine. Let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by