Sick Chick! please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChirpChickens, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    I bought 5 chicks and their about 3-4 weeks now and they've been fine. one was is the back of the cage and looked sick.. her feathers were puffed out and she looked really uncomfortable. i watched her for a while and left and now she's dead! my poor chickie. we have one more that is getting sick. she can't stand well and has trouble breathing. i put her in a seperate container and am keeping her warm. anyone know what to do? these are expencive breed..

2. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    and now she's sneezing

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have other chickens where they could have been exposed to something respiratory? I would probably go ahead and start Corid (amprollium) treatment for coccidiosis, if they are having diarrhea, since that can reduce their immunity. Many necropsies will show that disease being present in other diseases? The dosage is 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all chicks, then after completion, give all probiotics or a tiny bit of yogurt and vitamins for a few days. What do their poops look like? Are they eating?

If there is any history of coryza in your flock, it would be better to treat with Di-Methox (sulfadimethoxine) or Sulmet for both Cocci and coryza.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    the five chicks haven't been around any other chickens in 2 weeks. she won't eat but i got her to drink water.. the other three chicks are happily (and loudly) playing in their food and eating it. they seem fine.. but the sick one seemed hot.. i put my hand under her wing and she was burning!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You say they are 3-4 weeks old, and they haven't been around other chickens for 2 weeks. Did you get them from someone else? If they were around other chickens ever, they could have been exposed to a chronic respiratory disease. Sometimes chickens can look fine and health, but still be carriers of respiratory disease such as mycoplasma G or coryza.

6. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    i got them from a breeder. they were with their mom before i took them

7. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    my sick chick.. she just pooped blood [​IMG]

8. circesfire

circesfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    You should start them all on corrid. Pooping blood is one of the symptoms of coccidiosis.

9. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    but would they have gotten it from the breeders chickens?

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Coccidia is in the environment, everywhere, any chicken that is stressed can develope the infection. You can bring it home on your shoes. Treatment is simple and started early enough, very effective. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by