Sick Chick - Please help

mj79

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the site and to chickens. We bought 5 chicks 3-4wks old about 3 weeks ago, after one week one of them got severally lethargic, stopped eating, would just fall asleep in the backyard, she died within 24hrs of these symptoms. The other 4 seemed fine but now 2 weeks later another one is starting to act lethargic/sleepy and her eyes seem watery, it's not as bad as the other one, she will still run after the others but seems a bit slower. I have no idea what to do or if it's normal? Could she just be a more mellow hen? Thanks!

Hi, my chick is worse today, I've attached some pics, would appreciate any advice on what to do. I tried to give her some pedialite with a syringe but she didn't take much, both eyes are swollen/crusted shut, I tried cleaning them with a wash cloth but only got her to open one a little, you can see a lot of clear liquid in it. Stool seems normal, no blood. Please help!

Last edited:
Chicks at this age can get coccidiosis pretty commonly from the soil, but with swollen eyes and drainage, it is probably one of the respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza. Coryza usually has a bad rotten odor. These diseases are chronic, and make carriers of the whole flock, so closing your flock now to any new birds or selling/giving away birds must not be done. Antibiotics such as Tylan50, oxytetracycline, and Gallimycin from a feed store or online are used to treat these infections. Here is a link to read about the common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you so much for replying, I was afraid of that :( We only have 4 birds in our small "urban backyard" so it's not like I have a large farm where I can keep them separate from any new chicks. This one was picked out by my son, he's pretty upset about her getting sick and we told him he could choose a new one if/when she passes. But does this mean any new chick we bring in will mostly likely get the same thing? Even if the other 3 birds are ok (so far)?

We bought from a breeder, is this something I should bring to her attention? Would it already have been in their system from her farm?

Sorry one more question, I ready there is a Coryza vaccine, what if we vaccinated new chicks? I realize it's to late to do that with the current ones. But I only ready that in a thread so don't know for a fact that there is one. We don't have any vets in the city that deal with chickens.

Thank you all for any advise!

Thank you so much for replying, I was afraid of that :( We only have 4 birds in our small "urban backyard" so it's not like I have a large farm where I can keep them separate from any new chicks. This one was picked out by my son, he's pretty upset about her getting sick and we told him he could choose a new one if/when she passes. But does this mean any new chick we bring in will mostly likely get the same thing? Even if the other 3 birds are ok (so far)?

We bought from a breeder, is this something I should bring to her attention? Would it already have been in their system from her farm?

Sorry one more question, I ready there is a Coryza vaccine, what if we vaccinated new chicks? I realize it's to late to do that with the current ones. But I only ready that in a thread so don't know for a fact that there is one. We don't have any vets in the city that deal with chickens.

Thank you all for any advise!
Yes, the chickens you brought in could have been exposed to the disease at the place they were raised. Most breeders will kill any sick birds, but that might not mean the disease isn't lingering in silent carriers in the flock. Sometimes stress or lack of immunity, possibly by cocci or worms, can cause the chicken to be less able to fight off infections. Wild birds can be a source of most respiratory bugs, so nothing is ever easily traced. If you have the bad odor of coryza, I would cull them all. If the odor is not there is could be MG, which is treatable. Sometimes there will be 2 or more diseases at the same time, as with infectious bronchitis with MG as a secondary infection. The are vaccines for MG, IB, and coryza, but new birds needs to be kept away from those diseases for 4 weeks or more to develop immunity (not sure about MG.) Each disease has different strains in different parts of the country, so checking with a local NPIP or depatment of agriculture agent would help to know what to do. One choice would be to cull them all, disinfect your facilities, and start over with hatchery chicks that can be vaccinated for Mareks disease. Another choice is to treat them with AB's, close your flock to new birds, and when those birds are gone, start over. They may be good egg layers and pets. It's all a personal choice, but I would contact your state vet to discuss any questions. Here is some info on testing, and the state vets: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

OK, another question, my local feed store has oxytetracycline powder to go in the water and Tylan50 but said it only gives dosage for cattle? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable giving an injection. If I give the powder in the water is it ok if all the chickens drink it? How do I know the sick one would be getting enough?

If I can figure out how to give the Tylan how do I know how much to give, she's about 10 weeks old.

Also, I just wanted to add, as of now her only symptoms are the swollen crusty eyes and very lethargic, no bad odor, sneezing, coughing, or nasal drainage. I have not separated her from the others since I figured if she is going to pass something its probably already been done, is this logical or should I separate her now even though they've been together all this time?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oxytetracycline can be given to one chick inside a cage in the same coop or run. I wouldn't treat the others unless they are showing symptoms. If the sick one is not drinking water very well, the oxy won't help. Tylan50 can be given best as a shot into the breast muscle 1/4 inch with a 22 gauge needle. You can give it orally too, but works best as a shot. Dosage for a 10 week old would be 1/4 ml daily for 5 days orally, 3 days as a shot. Below is dosage of oxytetracycline if it is Durvet brand as pictured, and I would use the stronger mix at 2.55 tablespoonsful/gallon of water.

5-650092.jpg

To make 1
gallon:
400mg dose =
1.25 Tbsp per
gallon of water
800mg dose =
2.5 Tbsp per
gallon of water

OK, another question, my local feed store has [COLOR=333333]oxytetracycline powder to go in the water and Tylan50 but said it only gives dosage for cattle? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable giving an injection. If I give the powder in the water is it ok if all the chickens drink it? How do I know the sick one would be getting enough? [/COLOR]

If I can figure out how to give the Tylan how do I know how much to give, she's about 10 weeks old. 

Also, I just wanted to add, as of now her only symptoms are the swollen crusty eyes and very lethargic, no bad odor, sneezing, coughing, or nasal drainage. I have not separated her from the others since I figured if she is going to pass something its probably already been done, is this logical or should I separate her now even though they've been together all this time? 

[COLOR=333333]Thanks! [/COLOR]

I usually give injections in the breast muscle if I have to do that. However that is with grown chickens that actually have breast muscle! Chicks would be tough to do unless it says it can be given under the skin. I would do the water treatment. If your sick chick isn't drinking, your going to have to use an eyedropper or small syringe and try to get it to drink by administering some to the beak. Try to tilt the beak back a bit when you do it with the tip of the eye dropper and they usually swallow. Just a drop or two at at time! Don't drown em. Do this several times a day until they start acting better and you see them drinking on their own. BTW, I would treat for cocci too. Get the liquid Corid at the feed store. 9.5 ml per gallon, change daily, 5-7 days. Half that amount for a preventative. A droopy chick is usually afflicted with that. You sometimes see blood in dropping too, but not always. It will kill a chick fast and that's what sounds like happened to your first one. Could have already had the cocci in it's system when you bought it and then the stress of moving and it's system was overwhelmed.

Ugh, this is very overwhelming! I tried to give her some electrolytes yesterday with a syringe and it didn't go so well, she's just so little I feel like I'm going to hurt her if I use any force. She seems to be eating and drinking well, but she certainly isn't drinking a gallon a day, is there dosing for Oxytetracycline and Corid in smaller amounts? We have an extra waterer in the small quart size.

Back
Top Bottom