Sick Chick Question....Coccidiosis???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rose66, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    One of my 5 week old golden polish chicks has been subdued the last day or two. She has started spending more time than not just laying down and is not perky anymore. All of my other chicks are doing fine as of now. Could this be the beginning of coccidiosis? My chicks are not on medicated feed because I can't find a feed store within driving distance that sells medicated starter in any quantity greater than 5lbs. Therefore, I'm worried that this is coccidiosis. Do I need to treat the whole flock for coccidiosis just in case that is the problem? I know there are other things that could be causing the polish chick to be sick but I'm thinking that coccidiosis is the most likely??? Should I play it safe and treat them for coccidiosis just in case? If yes, what do I treat them with??? I'm a first time chicken owner and am very worried that all my chicks will get sick and die. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Is she fluffed up and lethargic? Can you tell if there is blood in their droppings? Since you have not used medicated starter, I would say most likely cocci is what you are dealing with (note that it is not unusual to have cocci show up even if you do use medicated starter).

So you need to treat. I've read Corid is the best bet, but since we only have Sulmet available, that's what we've used in the past and had good results. Call your feed store and see what they have, try to get it today if you can. Treat all of your chicks. Use it in their drinking water. If you can mix some plain yogurt in with their feed, that will help them as Sulmet is pretty hard on their digestive tract.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by