Sick chick - should I use sulfadimethoxene on the rest?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginger g, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ginger g

ginger g Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    We ordered five bantam chicks from Cackle. Received on Friday and all were doing great. On Sunday AM, we noticed one was lethargic and spending time alone not eating or drinking. I separated her and have been administering electrolytes and slurry egg yolk with limited success. She is listless but won't lay down, just eyes closed on her feet. I thought for sure she would die in the night but she's still here. Her poops are normal considering I've been putting water in her. Not bloody.

Could this be cocci?? This is my first batch of chicks so I don't know. They are on medicated feed but I read it does not always work. I did get some sulfadimethoxene with the chicks; should I use it on the other four as precaution? They seem to be fine. And is it too late to use on the sick one?

The four others are on pine shavings with a few paper towels changed every few hours. Trying to stay scrupulously clean over here....

advice is appreciated.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You would be better off using Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Give it to all your chicks. The one that is sick wont drink. Use an eyedropperful from the mixture and put a drop or two on the side of her beak to drink. You'll have to do this 6-7 times a day until she is well enough to drink the mixture on her own. Corid treats all 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. Only two or three strains of cocci cause blood in feces. Sulfadimethoxine and other sulfa based drugs only treat 2 types of cocci in chickens and is harsh on their systems. Corid can be found in the cattle section at a feed store.

3. ginger g

Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you so much for the reply. Should I keep them on the medicated feed if I give them the Corid? Don't want to over medicate if I don't have to. In fact, I hate to give any meds if I don't need to; what are the chances this is indeed cocci?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know about medicated feed as the ones I used it on got it anyway. I'm not saying it does not work, but is a preventative, not a cure. Dawg is right about Corrid, seems to be the most popular.

But I have always used sulfadimethoxine. 5 days in the water. Like Dawg said attempt to dribble with a syringe or tsp on the side of the beak frequently if it's not drinking. I've saved them that way, and have used Corrid as well. it took a day or two , but they did start drinking on their own again. and continued the 5 days of meds.

At 3 days old I would also try chick feed mush and make sure the chick is getting some and also drinking water. You may want to give an antibiotic as well, that's up to you. But that chick needs to be eating and drinking.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. ginger g

Mar 18, 2013
    I got Corid yesterday about 2pm and have been feeding her through a dropper with the corid water and a slurry of crumble and water and electrolytes. I even got up every two hours in the night to feed and water her; she's not eating on her own. She is standing most of the time and won't lay down to sleep. Not acting any worse, but this is killing me! Wish I knew which way she was going. I'll keep feeding her, but any advice?

6. ginger g

Mar 18, 2013
    I should also say the poo is normal. Not bloody.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They often have coccidiosis without blood in their poop. Can you post a picture of the poop? Keeping her warm and hydrated is your best bet.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    very true often bloody poo comes as a last symptom, the reason corid is best is because it kills ALL 9 strains of cocci while other meds only kill certain strains. hope this helps

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

FWIW, I had necropsies done on three peachicks that died at the feed store, all had coccidiosis, none ever had any sign of blood. I think maybe it depends more on what strain they have.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by