Sick Chick (sleepy, no appetite, eyes won't open, and she won't stand)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poultry Nut, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Poultry Nut

Poultry Nut New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi everyone! Sorry this post has to be such a downer... >.<

I just got my umpteenth batch of chicks yesterday and one of my little girls (they are 3 days old today) is acting oddly. She is sleeping a TON and she isn't up and walking about like my 12 others. All she does is sleep sleep sleep. Her eyes are shut, not stuck, she just isn't opening them. I'm feeding her a sugar water mix every half hour and trying to feed her a slurry of her chick food that's mushy. I'm at my wits end and don't know what else to do! I do not want to lose this chick... HELP!

--Nut

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Poultry Nut

Poultry Nut New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Anybody? I got some electrolytes and some probiotics into her and she hasn't responded yet. Still lethargic and sluggish. :(

3. AbbyTravers

AbbyTravers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Have you separated her out from the other chickens?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Keep giving her vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics. Isolate her, if you can, in a warm, clean place away from the other chicks. If you want to give her some extra energy, you can try giving her some sugar water. However, sometimes sugar water gives chicks pasty butt, so don't overdo it.

It could be that your sick chick is just stressed out from shipping, or she could have some internal problem. If she doesn't perk up after continuous care and sugar water, I'm afraid that the outlook for her surviving is rather grim.

Also, I suppose that Coccidiosis could be a suspect. Your chick is showing some of the classic symptoms, though I think that its odd that none of the other chicks are showing signs. If you wanted to cover all of your bases, I would treat her with Corid. Even if she doesn't have Coccidiosis, Corid will not harm her, at least not unless you overdose or continue treating for a longer amount of time than is recommended.

You can usually purchase Corid from a livestock supply store. Corid comes in two forms--powdered and liquid. I only know the liquid dosage: it is 1/2 teaspoon liquid Corid per quart of water for 5-7 days. You could probably find the powdered Corid dosage by searching on the BYC website. During the Corid treatment time, do not give vitamins, as certain vitamins interfere with Corid's effect. Probiotics are fine, though.

Good luck with your little chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by