sick chick soft crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dan_grow, Sep 6, 2010.

1. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    i have a light Brahma about 6ish weeks old he has been drinking, not relay eating, hes been lethargic, there isn't any smell coming off of him, and I saw some stringy poo which had a reddish tint to it.

one of my other chicks was also lethargic earlier today but quickly revived could this just be a passing sickness for him

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd suggest you read up on cocci in this section. If you don't think it's cocci, if you would answer the questions at the beginning of the section, it might help.

3. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    okay i'll read on cocci also he seems to be doing better now he can catch up with the other chicks still a little sleepy looking but the sun was barley up so i can understand why.

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Sounds like Cocci to me. I use Sulmet - one cap in a gallon waterer. If it's Cocci you need to act quickly. Signs of Cocci are lethargy, pulled in head, ruffled up feathers, bloody poop.

5. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    i think all my chicks are okay now after pooping out allot of blood yesterday they seem to be as energetic as ever and doing everything as normal and theres no more blood coming out of them. so i guess their fine.?

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:No, they are not fine. Pooping a lot of blood is not normal. Please get some Sulmet and medicate them for Cocci before it's too late. There's also another drug that many others prefer but I can't remember what it's called and it's not sold here locally. But I use Sulmet and it has always worked fast. Follow the label - it needs to be administered (mixed in their water) for a number of days.

7. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    i know, got some Sulmet after i commented i wasn't going to let these chicks die and the roo who had the worst affliction is now jumping around like his old self ill post some pics when i can get my hands on a camera.

thanks for the advice it real helped.

(edit for pic)
    well this was him a few weeks ago
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by