Sick Chick! :( Spitting up and full crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl778, Oct 21, 2017.

1. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2017
    1) Speckled Sussex, 5 weeks old, much lighter than the rest of the chicks we have
    2) Sometimes she will act like she's drinking even if she's not, she will poop basically just water, she has spit up twice, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in chick food, although she will eat grass outside. She also acts tired sometimes.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Drinking plenty and eating - but only grass, not chick feed although it is readily available to her. Grit has been supplied as well, and she eats that.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. VERY runny sometimes, practically water.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None, except electrolytes.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Preferably treat her myself.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. paper towels, with shelf liner on top, with pine shavings on top of that.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 True BYC Addict

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Stop the grass eating, hoping the crop is not clogged. Try wetting it's chick feed, making like a mash, sounds like it's not getting any nutrition. Put some ACV in the water (1T/gal) & feed some plain yogurt, even mealworms would be better than grass.

Does it hang out with the rest of the chicks?

3. chickengirl778

Apr 17, 2017
    Yes! It mostly has normal chick behavior except for one time, but it was a little late at night so that's probably why she was acting tired :).

4. chickengirl778

Apr 17, 2017
    I've done more research - do you think it's possible that she is just an over-drinker? That would explain why her poop is so watery, although it was looking better today!! That would also explain why she wasn't as interested in the feed.

5. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    IF you see her drinking more than usual, watery poo is the result but it doesn't explain why she's not eating her feed, only grass. I would remove the grass & wet her feed to get her eating. @Eggcessive

6. chickengirl778

Apr 17, 2017
    I definitely saw here eating today! I think she's improving!

7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by