Sick chick- swollen crop

Contemplation

Hatching
May 26, 2022
I have an 8week old Sussex chick. Her crop area appears swollen for two days. She sometimes does odd jerking motion with her neck. I have been massaging it -it is soft not firm. I’ve also given her a bit of olive oil last 2 days. Thinking it might be sour crop I got her to “throw up” a little and it had no odor. She feels much lighter than her 3 healthy sisters so maybe something has been amiss for longer than I realized. She is still eating and drinking and pooping and is alert. Any advise would be appreciated.

Are your chicks getting access to grit?

Where are you keeping them?

What are you feeding including treats?
They get turned out on short pasture twice a day for about 1 1/2 hours each time. We have sandy gritty soil so I thought this would give them enough. Rest of the time they are in a horse stall bedded with wood chips. Treats consist of occasional half a cooked corn on the cob shared by the 4. Otherwise they are on free choice medicated chick starter

You might want to verify that the sandy soil has the proper grit. Gather a random sample and examine it first with the naked eye. Is it between 1/16" and 1/8" in diameter? Next take a hand lens and look at the grit under magnification. It should have sharp, flat edges to be suitable. If it's round edged, it's not.

Here is my article on crop disorders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ You may need to treat for yeast, although it's not very common in young chicks. That's why improperly equipped gizzard should be suspected.

I have an 8week old Sussex chick. Her crop area appears swollen for two days. She sometimes does odd jerking motion with her neck. I have been massaging it -it is soft not firm. I’ve also given her a bit of olive oil last 2 days. Thinking it might be sour crop I got her to “throw up” a little and it had no odor. She feels much lighter than her 3 healthy sisters so maybe something has been amiss for longer than I realized. She is still eating and drinking and pooping and is alert. Any advise would be appreciated.
I know someone who can help you if your sure it’s sour crop Here is the link

Back
Top Bottom