Sick Chick, swollen eyes, lump on face...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RIRRainbowFarms, Jan 9, 2014.

1. RIRRainbowFarms

RIRRainbowFarms New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It has been sick for almost 2 weeks. It started out with swollen eyes, runny reddish stools, wheezing breathing. Stools have hardened (no longer runny), but eyes have gotten worse. Does not wheeze as much, but holds beak open like this most of the time when it is not hiding its head in the feathers on its back and now has a pretty raw looking bare spot right behind its head in the feathers on its back. Barely eats or drinks, have to literally feed and water it by hand a few times a day. The vet (that said he has a masters in Chickens) had me giving it Clindacure Clindamycin Hydrochloride Liquid (says For Dogs And Cats...), 1/2cc every 12 hrs for a week. It did not seem to to any good, only getting worse. I've been using VetRx also and just started liquid Corid in its water. This is what it looks like after a week on the meds. Anyone know what that swollen bump on its face is or what would help it?

[I have had it in a separate cage, but now two of my other chicks (12-13 wks old) are started to get the watery pussy eyes and one of them keeps making a sneezing sound.]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    If its Coccidiosis you need to give the following, Liquid Corid .024% - 2 tsp in 1 gallon water and 1 drop orally to each bird. Treat the entire flock. Give Vita-Pro-B and Replamin - vitamins and a Probiotic. Vitamin E and Selenium should be given together; Selenium helps the birds absorb Vitamin E. These are options for when your flock starts to recover.
    I'd also suggest to completely clean and sanitize the coop and anywhere else you have your flock. After your flock is well, add 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar to their water on a regular basis.

Obviously this vet doesn't know what he's talking about! I'd get another vet, ASAP and find out for sure what this is. Post again with the results.

Good luck.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    This is not Coccidiosis,looks like she could have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum(MG). I am not an expert in MG,but she does exhibit clinical signs,respiratory issues,facial swelling,coughing,etc. Birds with MG are carries for life,this is very contagious so your other birds will likely come down with it also.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by