sick chick & v. worried mum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xingxang, Jun 26, 2011.

1. xingxang

xingxang New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    my baby now has a fluidy very swollen crop. Both eyes shut with puss which I gently wipe off with lukewarm water and cottonwool.
    Only have it on water - tetracycline dilution in water mixed with electrolytes, which I syringe a few drops down her throat every few hours.
    Head hangs down, walks fine, chirps and shouts fine but won't eat or drink on own. please help!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry to hear about your baby. [​IMG] Make sure she is not eating shavings or anything else in the brooder that she is not supposed to eat. If you have some regular Alka-Seltzer around you could take 1/2 a tablet and dissolve in 4 oz of sligthly warm water. Then take a medicine dropper and fill it all the way and squirt it into the babies mouth. Wait several hours and dose him/her again. This should help reduce the acid and bacteria build up if the crop is slow moving or becoming soured.

This treatment should help, if not fix the issue, if not then she may have other issues. I have had babies that have difficult times with crop issues. Good luck with your baby. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by