1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick, very swollen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by h30melanie, Jul 10, 2008.

1. h30melanie

h30melanie New Egg

Jul 10, 2008
    New to chicks and heart is breaking. Two days ago noticed my baby aracana was much bigger, thought she was just growing fast. Yesterday, noticed she was lethagic and worse today. Her chest/body is VERY swollen and she has trouble walking. Her vent seems clear. She won't eat but she will drink all the water I give her. After drinking a lot, I was checking her vent and all the water just came out. Don't know what to do, not sure she'll live long enough for a reply. She is about 5 wks.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm sorry your having problems with the chick...lots of things can go wrong in their systems and we never know what brings them down....

3. h30melanie

h30melanie New Egg

Jul 10, 2008
    Thank you for your kind words. She is still hanging in there. From reading the threads it seems like maybe her croup is impacted, I tried massaging her but it didn't seem to go down any. I haven't been able to get her to drink any water though this a.m. Question: if it is croup, is it contagious? I have two other chicks that are the same age. I have seperated her from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by