1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chick video...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rynegold, May 12, 2011.

1. rynegold

rynegold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    From the getgo, this chick from day one (two or three weeks old maybe when we got them?) has had "droop wing". This chick's wing tips would never come all the way up into a tuck position right close to the body but all else seemed ok.
    Now we're into week three of having these chicks here at home and two days ago, this one started walking backwards some of the time and had it's head turned under. It would eat, and drink normally with head up and had good body strength so it was trying to survive but it was head down all the rest of the time and awkward body language for sure. I palpated the neck area and found nothing out of sorts, no external injuries. We quarentined it. My wife Traci said perhaps it would get better; It didn't, so this morning I culled it for fear of it's problems affecting the other 13 healthy chicks.

But: what did it have wrong with it? I'm new to raising chickens and just trying to learn something. Has anyone seen such as this before?

Here is a video of the behavior... taken this morn:

any tips appreciated....

m

2. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Looks to me like wry neck, which is often caused by nutritional deficiencies and is easily remedied (sometimes) with the correct vitamin supplements.

Lots of info on this forum, do a search for wry neck. I am sorry you had to cull, you might have been able to fix it!

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    It looks like it could be wry neck. Do a search her for it, you should be able to fix this..it can be a vitamin deficiency based on what I have read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by