1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick....what could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coop-er, Oct 20, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I have a 3 month old Rhodebar pullet who is sitting in the coop "puffed up" with her eyes closed. She will move if prodded but otherwise she is still. All of my other birds seem fine, there is plenty of food, water, shade, and the weather here is good. They have all been confined to their coop for the past 5 days or so due to a fox siting. She will allow me to pick her up (unusual) and I cannot not find anything wrong with her upon examination. Any ideas? If there is something I need to do for her I would like to know. Thanks for reading my post and any help is appreciated.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sounds like she could have coccidosis. Cocci CAN be present WITHOUT bloody feces! Symptoms can include puffed up ruffled feathers and sleepiness and lethergie. The good news is it can be treated with amprollium brand names are corid or amprol. This medication kills ALL 9 strains of cocci while other meds only kill SOME strains. Take a look at coccidosis online and keep in mind older chickens CAN still get coccidosis and bloody poo is NOT always present.if you agree she does have coccidosis then I would treat with the amprollium corid or amprol. This should help her. If her breathing is normal and no mucus is present and no other Signs of illness are present I would suspect coccidosis. Hope this helps you out and hope she gets well soon! Best wishes

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have a poor appetite or have any diarrhea? Those are 2 more symptoms of coccidiosis?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    I have not noticed any diarrhea but she was not eating when the other birds were today. Realsis....where do you get those meds? Does TSC carry them??

5. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012

Does this mean all my birds may have this??

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis is contagious via the droppings and water, so most of the time it is wise to treat them all. If you have older birds they may have built up immunity by now. Corid (amprollium) is available as a cattle medicine in most feed stores in powder or liquid form. Treatment is 2 tsp liquid or 1 1/2 tsp powder to each gallon of water. Smaller quantities can be mixed, but it should be fresh each day. Treat for 5-7 days, and if you feel it is necessary, you can treat with half strength for another 5 days afterward or after waiting a week or two. After treatment is finished, put some vitamins and probiotics in the water.

7. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Thank you I will be taking care of this tomorrow-hopefully this will do the trick. I feel bad for her!

8. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Ok I have found the Corid- Isolated my sick chick and used a syringe to give her approx 10cc water to start with. I have replaced the water for the rest of my small flock with the medicated water also (they all look fine). I will keep my sick one in a cage in my garage and continue giving her the water if needed (if she won't drink on her own) and hope for the best. Is there anything else I can do for her at this point and how soon should I look for improvement? Thank you for your help.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have the Corid liquid you could try giving her an undiluted drop of it.

-Kathy

10. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012

They only had the powder-is there anyway to give a concentrated dose of that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by