sick chick ???whats wrong????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samsrib, Nov 28, 2010.

1. samsrib

samsrib Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    I have a Salmon Faverolle chick about 5 weeks old. Pretty sure it is a pullet. She is lathargic, eyes closed, breathing heavily and feathers are puffed out a bit. She is just laying there breathing hard with her eyes closed. Havent seen her eat or drink...shows no interest in even opening her eyes. She was in with 13 other chicks who all seem to be fine. Do any of you wise chicken folk know what is wrong or what I can do for her? thanks, Paige

2. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Hope your little one comes thru...were in the same boat now. Keep her warm, separated and add electrolytes/vitamins to her water too. How is her poop?

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Sounds like coccidiosis. I've heard that collodial siver works.
    Good luck.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I agree it sounds like Coccidia. I recommend getting Sulmet or Corid from the Feed store asap. Chicks can die quickly from coccidia.

5. samsrib

samsrib Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    thanks for the advice. The chick died about 10 minutes after my last post. She flapped her wings violently, flopped around, stretched her legs, pooped a bunch of bloody poop and flapped and stretched her muscles a bunch more then died. Went to the store and bought Corid to put in the water of the other chicks. I did 1cc in a quart waterer. None of them show any symptoms and I see no bloody poo. There are 13 of them. hoping they dont get sick.

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I am so sorry you lost your chick! That definitely sounds like coccidia (bloody poop, lethargy, etc). Treat all the chicks since if one gets it, others will likely get it too. Thankfully, they become immune to it as they get older.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  7. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG] I'm sorry you lost the chick.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:X2

[​IMG]

9. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your loss >.>

10. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    So sorry about your loss. We were having troubles with what I think to be coccidia as our chicks had the same symptoms as yours, and died the same way as yours did. Gosh that tore me to peices when I seen mine die like that over and over again until finally all of our chicks stopped getting sick, and the ones that were sick got better. All though only 6 out of 12 chicks made it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by