1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuchchicks, Oct 4, 2015.

1. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    My little buff silkie is about 8 weeks old. Today she is barely moving. I found her laying on her side and she seems lethargic. Not sure what to do. I have separated her but not sure if I can do anything else. I've never had a sick bird like this before. Feed store is closed til tomorrow so if I need anything I will have to wait til then. Gatorade or pedialite? Anything from the feed store tomorrow? She is the only one that appears sick but a week old chick died yesterday.

2. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    She died tonight :(
    Now I'm worried there is something going thru my coop. Should I blanketly treat everyone?!!'

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    are you seeing any symptoms, how are you keeping them, inside, outside, are they on ground, it's not uncommon for a chick to die within the first two weeks from some unknown internal problems. At 8 weeks I start wondering about cocidiosis, but I wouldn't start treating things without knowing if I have anything to treat, check any remaining chicks, assess your set up, is it wet, too hot, too cold, poor ventilation, things like that and try to see if anything looks off, it could of just been one of those things that doesn't repeat itself.

4. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Temps have been between 40-70 for past couple of weeks. Coop is the same for last 5 years - large inside with pine shavings,dry...its been rainy so run was muddy. I put straw in the run to try to dry it up. No symptoms that I could see. The chick that died was about 8 days I think...found dead in nesting box. It was a sole chick from a broody mom. The buff silkie I bought as a chick. Seemed lethargic today. I separated it and got it to drink. I got home from work and was having agonal respirations, died in my hands about half hour ago. None of my other chickens appear sick.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Do you feed medicated feed, it will help prevent cocidiosis if that is a problem, don't know if it is but wet ground will let it breed out of control.

I know this time of year when weather starts changing it can cause stress which can encourage illness, otherwise it doesn't sound like anything is wrong, hope that's the end of any troubles for you.

6. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Thank you I hope so too. No I don't do medicated feed. I had been feeding laying feed and should have known better. I think it is a possibility that the extra calcium could have contributed to the deaths since they were both young. I am getting all flock feed today.

7. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Just found one of my other 8 week old chicks with bloody poop. Is that coccidiosis? Do I need to treat the whole flock? Is it possible to save this other baby?

8. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Also I have some week old chicks and chicks due to hatch the next two weekends. None of those are with the infected birds. Do I treat them also or just give medicated starter feed?

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will need to treat all the older ones, bloody poop is the main symptom of cocidiosis, as well as birds dying quickly, I'm not sure what is used, do a quick search, I think I've read corid, but have a quick search to make sure. Give any newly hatched chicks the medicated starter and keep them away from those that are sick or with them and keep them off the wet ground for at least a month until they build some immunity. From what I've read it's a hard thing to battle, good luck.

10. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Should I treat my quail too? Same dose?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by