1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosiec, Mar 23, 2016.

1. rosiec

rosiec Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hi I'm new to this forum...I had a chick die last night. I have gotten 6 from tractor supply and have had chicks before. This one was fine and then by the end of the day she couldn't keep herself upright and kept holding her head upwards. Any clues as to what I have or haven't done correctly?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]. In reality, the dying chick was likely a weakling - sometimes it happens. There is a 'sudden death' syndrome in chickens. If the others are fine I really would not beat yourself up..[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. rosiec

Mar 23, 2016
    It looks as if another one of the chicks may be dying now too! As suggestions? Could it be to sickly chicks in the same batch?

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    So - are they all eating/drinking well? Try some Sav-a-chick or similar solution in the water, you may have to 'drip' some solution on her beak unless she's drinking ok. Do any of them have pasted-butt? What is the temp in your brooder?
    It could be another sick chick from the batch - when you got them, were they running around or just sitting? do you remember?

5. rosiec

Mar 23, 2016
    They were all doing fine the first 3 days after I got them. Yes they all seem to be eating and drinking fine. I made a mixture of cider vinegar and water to ward off baste butt. A few seem to have messy butts so as a preventive measure after I washed them off. The latest one seems to be rebounding a bit . Thanks for all your input!

6. rosiec

Mar 23, 2016
    Thanks for your help and support [​IMG]

7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You are most welcome! It's always frustrating/scary when it's the 'first time' around - you will be an expert in no time! Keep us posted! [​IMG] If they still have pasty butts, check your brooder temp - too hot or cold can cause it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by