1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantamm, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bantamm

bantamm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    I have 7 new chicks (first time chick owner), and all are acting completely fine, except one, and I'm worried. Here are her symptoms:

- wobbly; if she falls on her back/side she has trouble getting back up

- will stand next to the food/water but won't eat or drink

- chirps a lot

- likes to hide in my hands; tries to hide under her sisters. When she hides in my hands she calms down a lot and stops chirping.

I've given them antibiotics in their water, and I gave her some vitamin D/riboflavin supplement just a bit ago. Is she sick? Just unfortunate enough to be at the bottom of the pecking order? What do I do? I'm very worried.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    WEll she's sick, but it is hard to say with what. You might try calling the place you got the chicks from and see if they have had others that have been sick and if they have any idea what they were sick with.. If you get them from a mill or one of the many places that sell them, you have to remember they've been through a lot of stress already, especially if the store allows customers to handle them. When they are that small they are hard to treat, too. What kind of antibiotics are you using and what dose?

3. bantamm

bantamm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks for your help, but she died a short time after I posted this. Rebel, we will miss you.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I am so sorry to hear that. :(

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That is too bad. Please contact the establishment where you got her and let them know. They should replace her. So sorry for your loss, but losses are often unexpected with chickens. Love the others as much as you can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by