Sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mother hen 6, May 5, 2016.

1. mother hen 6

mother hen 6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2014
    Anybody got any helpful ideas? Just got my shipment of chicks yesterday and one of my little girls has been gasping all day today. I'd post a video so you can see what I mean if I could figure out how to but I'm not having any luck.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Electrolytes in the water. Poultry Nutri-Drench. If PND doesn't do it, nothing will. Some chicks are just destined to die, and shipping is hard on the little buggers.

3. GrFChickens

GrFChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    I'm so sorry! That's so hard! I'd find a way to keep her under the heat lamp and keep it at 95 for her. Apple cider vinegar with the mother (like Bragg's) in water. Can also crumble up some hard boiled egg yolks and mix with water for her to eat for some nutrition. Keep us posted!

4. mother hen 6

mother hen 6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2014
    I have been meaning to update y'all but have been so busy I haven't made it back to the site. I'm sad to say that shortly after I asked my question, my little girl died. This has been an awful chick experience for me. We have had 8 out of 31 chicks die. One little girl was DOA, and of course y'all already know about my little gasping baby, but I can't explain the others to save my life. Especially the two I lost TODAY! These babies are two weeks old and this isn't my first rodeo. I shouldn't be losing so many.

5. GrFChickens

GrFChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! Time doesn't make it any easier. Hoping your remaining chicks do great!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by