Sick chick

Poticus

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
Louisiana
I have a 3 week old BO that rarely stands up and when she does, she stumbles. She eats and drinks alright but has trouble keeping up with the other chicks. There is nothing obviously wrong with her legs. Any ideas what could be wrong with and what the treatment might be? Thanks!

Try giving riboflavin supplement. This could be a vitamin defiency. Also, was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is her legs resting at odd angles? Is her neck in the correct position? Is she excessively sleepy? Puffed up? Lethargic? Please post any other symptoms. In the meantime id defiently try a good riboflavin supplement. Online, First State Vet Supply has a very good selection of poultry vitamins and supplements.hope this helps. Best wishes

Last edited:
I'm not sure if she was vaccinated as we got her from a feed store. Her legs don't seem to be at odd angles when she rests. I noticed she rarely puts her neck out and mostly keeps it back. She is ALWAYS puffed up. She does seem lethargic at times. I will try the riboflavin. Thanks!

I'm not sure if she was vaccinated as we got her from a feed store. Her legs don't seem to be at odd angles when she rests. I noticed she rarely puts her neck out and mostly keeps it back. She is ALWAYS puffed up. She does seem lethargic at times. I will try the riboflavin. Thanks!

Puffed up, lethergic behaviors, foamy poo could be signs of coccidosis. Google coccidosis and keep in mind they CAN HAVE COCCI WITHOUT BLOODY FECES. If after reading about it and if you suspect that could be the issue, you would want to treat the entire flock with Amprollum. Depending on where you live the brand name would be Amprol or Corid. They are both Amprollum and cure cocci. I cant see your bird so its difficult to know weather or not she has a riboflavin deficiency ( which often effects the legs and walking and can be common, or Coccidosis which is intestinal and is extremely common but can be serious if not treated. Basically with coccidosis the bird seems depressed. Is very sleepy, puffed up in appearance, and is lethergic. It happens when they get cocci from the soil they have not yet developed a immunity too and it over runs their system. It should be trated asap if suspected. Sounds like its one of the two things.hope this helps and sorry i couldnt be positive which she has. Its difficult without seeing her but hope this gives you some ideas

Puffed up, lethergic behaviors, foamy poo could be signs of coccidosis. Google coccidosis and keep in mind they CAN HAVE COCCI WITHOUT BLOODY

FECES. If after reading about it and if you suspect that could be the issue, you would want to treat the entire flock with Amprollum. Depending on where you live the brand name would be Amprol or Corid. They are both Amprollum and cure cocci. I cant see your bird so its difficult to know weather or not she has a riboflavin deficiency ( which often effects the legs and walking and can be common, or Coccidosis which is intestinal and is extremely common but can be serious if not treated. Basically with coccidosis the bird seems depressed. Is very sleepy, puffed up in appearance, and is lethergic. It happens when they get cocci from the soil they have not yet developed a immunity too and it over runs their system. It should be trated asap if suspected. Sounds like its one of the two things.hope this helps and sorry i couldnt be positive which she has. Its difficult without seeing her but hope this gives you some ideas

This was the best I could do. She seems a little more energetic this afternoon. I started putting ACV in their water. I'm not sure if that's what did it. She may have been overheated too. It's in the 90s down here. She still hobbles a bit but it doesn't seem as bad this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom