Sick chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nbooton, Sep 23, 2016.

1. nbooton

nbooton New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    I have an 8 week old chicken who has always been smaller than the rest, but she seems to eat and drink fine. We put them in their outside coop a week ago and found her in their run last night. She is extremely wobbly when she tries to walk, and eventually just sits down and stays put. Last night she fell on her side while trying to walk and could barely roll over. She seems very weak. Her droppings look normal and she's eating and drinking. We moved her to a crate in our house. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

My initial thought just recently placed them outside is Coccidiosis. Signs of Cocci is weakness, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, loss of balance, and puffing up. Treatment for cocci is Corid, you can find this at your local feed store in the cattle section.

If they were mine, I would treat the whole flock. Corid is gentle and will not hurt them.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Make sure she gets plenty of the Corid water.

Keep us posted.

3. nbooton

nbooton New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Thank you so much! It sounds like you are correct, her feather are puffed up as well. I am on my way to get Corid. I will keep you updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by