1. littleredhen00

littleredhen00 Just Hatched

Aug 6, 2016
    Pleasant garden nc
    Just got a new batch of chicks on Monday and two of them died already... the batch they had were not very healthy to start with. This chick is just laying down and opening its mouth every 5-10 seconds, sleeping. It's crop feels very full but doesn't feel like there's food in it but air and maybe water. Is there any way to help it?????

2. MilleFleurs

MilleFleurs New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Start handfeeding and watering it with a syringe.
    Last night one of my welsummer bantam chicks that was hatched Monday died. It was having trouble eating and drinking, as well as keeping its balance. It would drink, but I had a very hard time getting it to eat anything even with the syringe. It would just cough what it could back up. I'm quite glad it's at peace now.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    SaveAChick electrolytes added to the water or Poultry Nutridrench 1 ml orally, then dip it's beak into the water as often as possible. It already may be too late, but that is all you can do. Look at it's bottom for pasty butt, and make sure that it is warm enough.

4. littleredhen00

littleredhen00 Just Hatched

Aug 6, 2016
    Pleasant garden nc
    It's also throwing up spit.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is sad to see one struggling. Back chicks can suffer a lot of stress when they are shipped either to your home or to feed stores. They can be cold or dehydrated, handled roughly, and if at a feed store very long, can be overcrowded or not be able to get to the water or the feed. It helps when you first get them to feed them some electrolyte water and sprinkle some feed around for them to learn to peck. Shipping stress can take a week or 10 days to show up. People who hatch baby chicks may also have weak chicks. I hope your chick pulls through, but it sounds very weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by