1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    I came home this evening and found that one of my NH Red chicks is not doing well. She is laying down, lathargic and doesn't run away when I try to pick her up (like the others). I also noticed that she is a bit smaller than the others. When I picked her up, she didn't stuggle, but did peep a little. They are all 6 days old. We are feeding them Purina Starter feed and they are drinking water with vitamins/electrolites for the first time today. The 24 others are very active and eating/drinking well. I did notice that their wing feathers grew quite a bit today. Her's are a little shorter. Could she just be a sickly chick? Any other ideas? Thanks.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Did you check her vent to make sure it isn't pasty? Sometimes they get blocked up and can't poop. It has to be cleaned off or they will perish. Sometimes there are just weak chicks and not much we can do to help. I hope she comes around for you.

Jody

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I do not know if this will help but whenever one of our chickens acted like that my wife would give it some raw apple cider vinegar from a dropper. I can only go on personal experience, I thought we had a goner we separated the chick the next day it was fine.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I also wanted to add to make sure the little one is eatng and drinking. You may need to dip its beak in the water to show it where it is. Some are slow to start or just plain 'starve-out'. You can try placing her by the food too to see if she pecks at it.

Jody

5. montverdechick

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thank you all for your feedback. Her vent was clear, first place I checked. She had been deficating, so I know she was eating at some point. I also put her beak in the water to try to get her to drink, but no luck. I left her close to the water so she could drink if she wanted. Then, I checked on her 1 hour later and she was gone. I just think she was a weak chick and my husband (who has a lot of experience keeping livestock) said that some just fail to thrive. Not much more I could have done. I will be getting some vinegar today, though, just in case.

If I want to add the vinegar to their water, how much do I add per 1/2 gallon?

Thanks again!!

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your little one. It sucks when you can't save them all. [​IMG]

7. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I agree sorry you loss your chick you did everything you could it does happen.
    You may safely add cider vinegar to food and/or drinking water, starting with small amounts and building up to ½ to 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of body weight or about 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (health food store variety best) to 8 oz water. That is about ¼ cup per gallon of water and/or you may sprinkle or spray small amounts on bird’s food. Gradually add small doses to food over time, you can help even the most finicky eater to accept this. Do not use metal food or water dishes when using vinegar, stainless steel is OK.

http://www.cagenbird.com/vinegar.htm

8. montverdechick

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thank you for the information and thanks to you all for your help and support. This is a great site! I have catahoula leopard dogs and there is a yahoo group for those dogs. The people on there are very opinionated, judgemental and MEAN. Nothing like this group. I feel comfortable asking (stupid) questions and learning more. Thanks again!!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bummer about the chick.[​IMG]
    You'll have to show this Yankee what a Leopard Dog looks like.[​IMG]

10. montverdechick

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    Spotted Crow,

Here is a picture of my dogs, Blue and Daisy. They are the same breed (Catahoula), but no two look alike. They are the only breed I am not allergic to! Blue is 2 yrs old and Daisy is 10 months. They have lots of energy and are very good family dogs. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by