Sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarrieDee86, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CarrieDee86

CarrieDee86 In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    I have a week old chick that was fine this morning when I checked on them all, but when I got home, it was laying down and wouldn't run around anymore. I checked and it had a little bit of pasty butt so I cleaned that up. She seemed to start to feel more heavy in my hand (less of that lifeless feeling) but now I've noticed she's gasping every now and then. She was able to drink a bit of water when I put her beak in, but not much. Pretty much all she'll do now is gasp a bit, chirp at me, and lay in my hands. She won't even open her eyes. Is there anything I can do???

2. CarrieDee86

Mar 20, 2018
    Oh, and every once in a while she'll shake her head around kinda violently like she's trying to wake herself up, but then goes back to laying still... :-(

3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She may be constipated or have an impacted crop. The treatment is a teaspoon of coconut oil inserted into her beak and gently massage into the crop. If this chick is unable to swallow, it's too late for her. If she can swallow the oil you put into her beak, there's hope.

CarrieDee86 and The Phantom like this.
  4. CarrieDee86

Mar 20, 2018

5. CarrieDee86

Mar 20, 2018
    Well, it died in my hands about 10 minutes ago. :-( Such is the life of a chicken lady. Thanks for your help, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: