Sick chick!!!

Newchickymama37

Songster
Apr 19, 2018
South Carolina
My 7 1/2 week old bantam Cochin is listless and will only eat or drink if it is put directly in front of her. She not moving around and can stand up but falls over easily if touched. What might this be?

So right now he is on the coop but, he shares a giant coop (don’t know the dimensions) and a 25x50 run with 37 of his closest friends. He eats non medicated chick 20% starter food and has 2 large water containers (which I just put save a chick electrolyte in today). I also have him 1/2 ml of nutri drench after which he got mad at me for a couple seconds and then again became listless. His crop is big and very squishy. I tried to drain it but don’t know if I was doing it right because I could get anything to come out.

If it's cocci the nutridrench won't help. Since they feed on thiamine which is a B vitamin. You probably would have noticed something before getting this bad though. It isn't my true suspect at this point.

The squishy crop indicates crop impaction or sour crop might be a possibility. I would not try to feed anymore. The bird will not starve. Maybe even with hold feed so you can monitor the crop and see if it goes down over night. Can you smell anything coming from the mouth? Also you might be able to the feces and describe color/texture.

Sorry I meant what treats do you feed (not drinks)?

@Eggcessive have you any insight here? Thanks

7 1/2 week old bantam Cochin is listless and will only eat or drink if it is put directly in front of her. She not moving around and can stand up but falls over easily if touched
His crop is big and very squishy. I tried to drain it

Do you have 2 that are sick or just the one?
What does the poop look like?
Can you see a vet to get a fecal float?
A video of the actions may be helpful.

The crop you need to check on that to make sure it's emptying overnight. Check it first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, if it's still big and squishy you need to determine what course of treatment to follow. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The balance issues can be from a number of things - from dehydration and not eating due to crop problems to disease like Marek's. Sometimes it's a process of elimination. Getting and keeping your chick hydrated is the first thing to do, then evaluate all the other symptoms.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom