Sick chick

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
please hell something is wrong with one of my chicks this morning she is hanging her head really bad. When I lick her up she has energy to squirm but her head stays down. But she is generally just sitting in the corner hanging her head. She has drank water this morning.

Attachments

• 6B91F525-6929-4D6A-A96D-6F0E64F7DEC6.jpeg
    6B91F525-6929-4D6A-A96D-6F0E64F7DEC6.jpeg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3F6EA6FD-9A70-4929-9CBF-793B63B93608.jpeg
    3F6EA6FD-9A70-4929-9CBF-793B63B93608.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 6
I agree the chick has wry neck (crook neck, torticolis.) In chicks it can be due to vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, a genetic problem, or a head injury. I would give some chick vitamins with thiamine, and add 400 IU of vitamin E daily, and give to her in food. Help her to eat and drink. Sometimes making a small amount of wet feed plus a little cooked egg mixed together is easy to feed.

No treats yet cause I assumed they were to young. I’m just feeding the chick starter from the feed store. Should I also be supplementing with something?

For anyone reading this thread later a few things I’ve learned today which have been extremely helpful is that you need to be very patient when feeding it can easily take more then ten minutes and it is normal for the chick to keep falling asleep. Also there isn’t a quick remedy it can take a couple weeks for the chick to be better.
Lastly I would highly recommend you watch the first video as there were so many useful pointers such as wrapping the chick up and how to help it feed.

I’m so glad you said it could take weeks cause I was expecting to see results in the next day or two. This way I won’t worry about her as much. I can’t seem to get her to eat but will try eggs. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom