Sick chick?

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
She's about 3.5 weeks old. There are 10 other chicks in her brooder and none look like this. She seems to be eating and drinking normally, but what is up with her face?

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_144624069.jpg
    IMG_20220305_144624069.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220305_144730351.jpg
    IMG_20220305_144730351.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220305_144813713.jpg
    IMG_20220305_144813713.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 4
Yeah. That doesn't look normal. It's as if she isn't getting enough air or something, or possibly has a swollen face from bacterial overgrowth.

Not sure what to suggest. Maybe putting her on some Tylan. She may not do well as she grows if some internal organs aren't functioning well.

LofMc

What does her poop look like? Photos?

I agree she doesn't look right. Hard to know. The Tylan as suggested, I don't think would hurt. She may also need treatment for Coccidiosis as well.
Both Corid (Amprolium) and Tylan can be given at the same time.

3 1/2 weeks old is pretty early for coccidiosis. It takes time for the oocysts to build up in the system enough to do damage, typically 4 weeks is the earliest. That's why I don't leap to coccidiosis in young chicks.

The number one cause for failure to thrive and puffy discoloration in the first couple of weeks I have found is bacterial overgrowth from unclean hatching conditions. She looks like she has omphalitis to me which is simply overgrowth of bacteria that produces "squishy chick syndrome." Usually it gives puffy abdomen and legs, but it has the ability to go systemic so that face could puff as well.

I agree with wyorp that giving amprolium and tylan at the same time won't hurt. It would be a catch all to hopefully intervene before this takes its toll.

LofMc

Chicken eyes give away how they feel, and when sick, the eyes don't lie. My guess is this chick is constipated. I've seen such eyes in a chick this age and constipation was behind it.

It can't hurt at all to do the treatments others have suggested, but I would add coconut oil. Dig a teaspoon of coconut oil out and put it on a saucer. Break it into pea size pieces and chill until solid. Pry open the chick's beak and slip each lump of oil into the beak until all one teaspoon is in the chick.

My guess is that once the chick produces a nice size turd, it will bounce back to normalcy. If not, the other treatments should cover other possibilities.

@Wyorp Rock
I've had debates with those who "know" about this. I once thought coccidiosis could arrive very early, but was debated that it takes longer due to the amount of time to build up in chicks.

You say 2 weeks. Good to know.
LofMc
You are right, it does take time for the oocysts to sporulate. Chicks would have to be exposed very early (at hatch or the first couple of days) for them to become symptomatic in less than 2 weeks, but it's possible.
When it comes to chicks, I generally consider Coccidiosis first.

A 4 week timeline as you've mention is probably more "common" and I only have a speculation for that. Brooder raised chicks are often kept very "clean" and dry for the first few weeks, their environment is "controlled". Exposure is limited. Often at 4-6 weeks is when folks transition chicks outdoors to "new ground" and are being exposed/introduced to pathogens, parasites, etc. So...4-6 weeks, I agree, this is when a lot of people see symptoms.

I'm surely not an expert, a vet, a scientist or very educated either...but I try to observe, read a lot and put 2+2 together. Of course there's SO many factors that can affect that timeline - weather, feed, housing, source of chicks....lots of things to consider for sure!

Just my 3¢:)

Back
Top Bottom