Sick chick

Chuntgray

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
I wrote this once can not find it. I have never loss a chick until today. Two of my little ones had hard poop stuck causing a block. The temp is fine I started to wipe off with warm water. One died this AM the other one was not as bad seems ok. Is still getting blocked in the vent. Other chicks are fine. What to do?

You need to get their bottoms cleaned asap and watch the others for the same thing. You will need to make sure to use warm water and a q-tip or soft cloth to get it all off. Don't pull the poo off, it could hurt them. Make sure they are dry before returning them to the brooder. I also use a little Vaseline or Olive oil on their vent after the washing but that is me.
Hopefully someone else might have more advice that you will find helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks, So far so good. Will this get better? I am cleaning her every few hours she seems ok except for the stuck poop. I have to go to work in the AM so she is on her own for about 9 hours. Nothing I can do about that. I took these chick because they were so small.

It's a tough issue because most birds make so many droppings in a day and they can get backed up. Feeding things like yogurt and keeping her clean will help, and the olive oil to keep her lubed. Can't say how it will end up...very sorry

Back
Top Bottom