1. S.C. Chickens

S.C. Chickens New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Hello! I'm a new member, and will post my new member info in the appropriate area. First I have some questions. We have 4 Aracauna chicks that are 12 days old. Last night one of our chicks presented with some labored breathing. She is otherwise bright eyed, no nasal discharge, no abnormal droppings, eating, and drinking. Her activity level is a little lower than the others, and when she is resting, she is breathing with her mouth open. It looks like she is gulping air and making low chirping noises. I also notice her shaking her head and chirping rather loud at times. My first thought is that she has something stuck in her throat and is trying to rid herself of it? It was rather warm here yesterday (in the 80's) and is supposed to be even warmer today. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What kind of bedding do you have for them? If it's cedar chips, get the chicks off of it asap.

3. S.C. Chickens

S.C. Chickens New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    They are on straw bedding.

4. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dang, then I don't know. I guess I would separate the chick, with a stuffed animal for company, just in case it's contagious.

Do you have a thermometer in the brooder? Could they (she) be getting too hot?

5. S.C. Chickens

S.C. Chickens New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    The temp. in the box is about 96. My husband just walked in and said the outside temp. is 90.

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    [​IMG] Is it drinking ok? Maybe impacted crop.What are you feeding your chicks?

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Might want to lower the temp a bit, to about 90, then keep lowering 5 degrees each week. Is she still eating, drinking and pooping normally?

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

..and check the straw for excessive dust, just in case...how is your chick?

To find out if the chick is too hot, offer some water with ice floating in it...

9. S.C. Chickens

S.C. Chickens New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Chick still seems the same. Seems like she is eating and drinking normal. I put the brooder lamp up higher as the temp. outside is rising. The other chicks are not acting like they are too hot though. They are on mash from our local feed store and this morning I added some grit. It seems like while she is eating, she pecks at the food some then shakes her head then goes back to eating.

10. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG], I was just about to say hey, I sent you a PM about where you are, check your PM's. And then I noticed you had added your location! When I first came to BYC, I had Hollywood, SC in my location- and everyone thought I was in southern CA. So I changed it to South Carolina, and folks still see Hollywood and think CA. Gee, we're only a continent apart! [​IMG]

Glad the chick is still eating and drinking- could she have gotten some straw or straw dust in her? I use straw a lot, but I always start them on paper towels, until they are 2 weeks or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by