Sick Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by france, May 22, 2010.

1. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We have 2 week old chicks. One is sick or injured. She stays huddled up under the heat lamp. She will not lift her
    head up (straighten out her neck) but keeps her head tight to herself in her huddle. She barely moves. She is not
    growing like the others. I first noticed she was not right a few days ago but hoped she would come around.
    No luck. She walks fine when she walks and spent the first couple of days standing in a huddle but now is laying
    down in a huddle. I doubt there is much I can do but hope. [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

2. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Is she eating or drinking? You could try giving her some milk with polyvisol using a dropper. If she's been like this for a few days, it's really not good.
    Good luck!

3. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    unfortunately chicks sometimes get like this and all you can do is wait but once they get this far along mortality is quite high... If you have othe chicks Id treat with some antibiotic to be on the safe side

4. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I am editing this to say the little chick passed away [​IMG]
    This morning she was very bad and I decided to help her on her way once I dropped kids off at school. I got home and she had passed on her own.

I looked back at photos and I realized this little gal arrived not quite right. She was always kind of huddled up but standing. I
    just never noticed her not being all right because all the other chicks were either running about in mass confusion or sleeping.
    I always assumed she was in quiet mode. She was walking and standing. But she never really raised her head up. You can see
    how she has her head pulled close in her photo below. She did eat and drink just enough to keep her going. The reason I finally
    noticed was because she was not growing like the others. She was half the size of even the bantam chicks and she is not a bantam.
    Also as they grew the others grew crazier. I should also point out she could not peep at all. Just open her mouth and try but
    no sound. She survived just over 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by