1. scramblingsours

scramblingsours New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    Yesterday we found a chick in the coop,the way she was laying, thought it was dead. (The chicks are a little over a month old) Anyway we put the chick in a box and I have been forcing water down her and a little food paste. I'm thinking now she may have something in her throat. She acts like she is choking and can't keep her balance. Thought she was doing better this morning because she was drinking on her own, but as the day progresses, she is getting worse. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Can you see anything in her throat? Is she pooping normally? I wouldn't force feed her if she looks like she is choking...

3. scramblingsours

scramblingsours New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    Poops normally. Cant see anything ,but, it does feel like a lump in her throat. About the size of a 1/2" marshmellow. And it seems to hurt her.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what kind of bedding material do you use? could she have tried to eat some of it and now it's stuck in her throat.. and I second that you shouldn't feed her if shes chocking.

5. scramblingsours

scramblingsours New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    The bedding is regular bedding that you buy for small animals. (small wood chips?)

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might try using a flash light and looking down into her throat to see if you can see anything. I have heard of chicks eating bedding and other things so it's possible.

7. scramblingsours

scramblingsours New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    Can't see anything. I'm afraid she is going to starve before she gets better. If something is in her craw, how long before it goes away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by