sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Huskeriowa, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

Six babies arrived in the mail yesterday after a one day travel time. One baby was pressed against the edge of the box by the others. She has been home for 20 hours so far. She started off by avoiding the other chicks and had trouble standing. I got water with the vitamins in her right away and her vent is fine. Today she is worse off. She doesn't want to stand, she has a wide stance and falls down a lot if she tries to walk so I think she may have that straddle leg you all mention. The only reason I would think maybe she doesn't have that leg problem is because it doesn't look as extreme as I have seen, it is just a little bit of a wide stance. Also, she constantly wants to close her eyes like she is exhausted. She will not drink and will not eat.

What is the humane thing to do? Do I put her down because there is no chance and end suffering? Or do I just let her go because she has a chance to live?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by