sick chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelsey, Apr 6, 2011.

1. kelsey

kelsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    i brought a chick from tractor supply...a buff orpington, he was just as lively as the other 5 chicks i got and then about thirty mins afer i got home i look in the brooder and she was laying down not moving much. i put her in her own box under the light she looked like she was going to die, i had to go somewhere and came back a few hours later and she still looked dead and real sleepy i picked her up and she acted close to fine so i put her back in her box and she looked the same way she did before i left. while i was gone i had someone keep an eye on her and she said each time she went in there she looked dead and one time she was laying on her back not moving, what sould i do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I guess I'd add a little sugar or gatorade to the water, maybe drip it on the side of her beak a few times, andand give her a bit of scrambled egg or some other form of extra nutrition in case she isn't eating much for some reason. Sometimes it just wasn't meant to be -- or she may perk up and do fine.

Best of luck to you.

3. kelsey

Apr 1, 2011
    ok. thamks ill try it.

4. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    The five other chicks are acting fine, right? So that eliminates temperature problems and bedding issues. If you have a pharmacy or market near you, get some Polyvisol (infant vitamins, they come with a dropper -- get the kind without iron), add a dropperful to the water, and put some on your finger and touch it to the chick's beak. You might also try to make a mash out of the chick starter with warm water and try to feed it to the chick, too. Good luck!

5. kelsey

Apr 1, 2011
    she wont pick up her head to drink or eat. i got her to drink some water after a while it was sugar water, adn she was fine when i held her but each time i set her down she limps out and looks dead. but ill try.

6. kelsey

Apr 1, 2011
    and if it helps, her butt isnt really pasty its real wet and nasty looking, but only in a small area.

7. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    I'm sorry... she was running around just fine at the store? Actively feeding, eating, and pooping? Or was she shying away and easily picked up? If she's a newly hatched chick, freshly arrived from the hatchery, there is a possibility that she might have gotten smushed by the other chicks in her shipping box. We've lost several chicks like this. They look fine, then they either lie down like they're dead or they totter around drunkenly and then lie down and don't get up. They'll allow you to dropper feed them or finger feed them, and then they'll just lie in your hand until the end, poor little things. I hope yours perks up... [​IMG]

8. kelsey

Apr 1, 2011
    yeah she was perfect till we got her home.and the people at the store wouldn let me pick then up. I had to point to which one I wanted and they picked them up for me. Which didn't make any sense to begin with.but all the other ones are just as lively as can be. The one that is sick peeps like she is fine just don't move.

9. kelsey

Apr 1, 2011
    she ended up dying sometime last night i gave her sugar water and tried feeding her, she wouldnt eat. but i left to go to school this morning and when i got home another one was dead. i think they may of got a bad batch in. not sure tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by