Sick Chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcfarlandem, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mcfarlandem

mcfarlandem New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Hoping someone can offer some advice.

My 2 1/2 week old Araucana seems to be in pain! I've checked her all over, and don't think it's her vent.

She'll take a few steps, then give what sounds like a big sneeze, shake her head and lie down, even close her eyes. Her legs don't hurt when I squeeze them gently. I think her foot pad may be a bit swollen, but very hard to tell.

Anyone seen this behavior before. I'm about to wrap her in a warm towel and try and comfort her a bit. I'll know for sure then if she's voiding, too.

Any advice is much appreciated?

P.S. She's had a Merick (sp?) shot and is on medicated baby chicken feed.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    If she's sneezed, that is not a good sign. Up top there is a search button, do a search for sneezing in chickens, and see what yo come up with. I have never experienced it myself. Good luck and [​IMG]

3. Kissysquirrel

Kissysquirrel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    I am very new with hens but mine got attacked 1 week ago and she started sneezing, head shaking occasionally and runny/infected eye. I did research and it seems like she has Upper Respiratory Infection.

4. Kissysquirrel

Kissysquirrel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote:I gave mine Duramycin-10 and her wheezing is all gone. That's miraculous cause she was so wheezing bad she couldn't she couldn't breathe without lifting her head up so that air would go down her throat. Good luck with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by