Sick Chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken_noob, Jul 17, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    So I got up this morning and as I was making my rounds to open the free range pens I stopped at the brooder to watch the lil chicks run around and also to check on them/food/drink. As I was watching I noticed one of my bantam RIR was doing what loomed to be sneezing.. and again....and again.. I watched for a few to make sure it wasn't a piece of down fuss that "tickled " him, but he kept on sneezing. I took him out of the large brooder in the shop and put him in a smaller one inside my house, gave him fresh food and water with vi-tal in it. Since I don't wanna risk putting a friend in with him I took one of my wifes makeup compacts, opened it and covered the makeup section with tin foil. So now he is standing on the foil and just looking at the mirror. Not really sure what else to do since this is my first sick bird. IF he stops sneezing, how long should I hold off placing him back in the brooder...just incase.. Thanks for any help and tips.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is the chick still sneezing? Sometimes they can get something irritating their breathing and they will sneeze for a while. If the chick has no runny discharge or is acting tired, something to make it look sick, then you should put it back with the others.

If it continues to sneeze with a runny nose or coughing, then it may be time to start antibiotics. Check everything in the brooder...making sure the temp is correct, don't use cedar shavings, clean water, dry clean feed and keep the brooder clean, and you should be fine. [​IMG]

3. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Ok, ill go dhl check the brooder and rewipe it down. The other 11 birds are healthy and running all over and peepn all healthily. The "sick" one still sneezes here and there. He is fully alert, peeps..eats and drinks.. no pasty butt.. eyes look good and clear. I will keep a close eye on him and the others once he rejoins them. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by