Sick Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by walmn2121, Sep 30, 2011.

1. walmn2121

walmn2121 New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    I have a 5 week old chick, living with three others that in the last day has started to have blood tinged droppings. The droppings are still formed, the chick is acting normally, looks healthy and is eating and drinking normally. What might be wrong and what can I do?
    Thanks!

2. shazza07

shazza07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    have you wormed?

this could be the problem.

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Sounds like cocci. Get some Corrid - 1tsp per gal of water.

4. walmn2121

walmn2121 New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    I have been feeding medicated starter feed, if I do get something for worms what should i get? Also the blood isn't alot and a little darker, could it be just intestinal lining poo? Or is it too early for that?

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
  6. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Lots of different choices for wormers- may be helpful to do a search for "wormers" on this site.

As for whats normal with intestinal lining, I would say one or two is normal but past that it may be an indicator of a problem. Did they get into anything they werent supposed to? Did they spend any time outside on the ground? Have you given them any new treats?

A week ago, one of mine had a few poops that I thought were intestinal lining so I dismissed them as anything to worry about. After 4-5 days though, the hen got worse. Now 7 of my 8 chickens are having the same symtoms to varying degrees. Im not saying thats whats happening with your chick, just that an intestinal lining poop is apparently not as "normal" as that website has led people to believe.

Edited to add: also, what brand of feeed do you have them on?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:X2 I don't think its worms at only 5 weeks. But I could be wrong.

8. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    People seem to be very quick to say coccidiosis and/or worms on this forum. It very well may be that, but please do some additional research. If your bird is acting normal, it may not be cocci. Ive had several issues over the last 20 weeks with my chickens and have had quite a number of people tell me that the various problems were cocci. It hasnt been cocci yet.

Im not trying to critisize anyone, just trying to make the point that blood doesnt always mean cocci.

Do yoi have pics of the poop? That could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by