Sick Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by broodymomma, Oct 12, 2011.

1. broodymomma

broodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Brought one of my 6 week old chicks inside, found it on it's back and thought it was dead, but it was not. Barely alive but non the less it was. These chicks lost there mom about 2 weeks ago so I have been watching them closely. Another Silkie chick has taken over mothering now. Anyway, this chick was very weak and could not eat. Feeding it with a dropper. Gave it antibiotics for a few days along with egg yolk in water. It has been a week and it appears to very slowly be improving. Now it gets up for a little while and not finding it feet up the last two days, so it appears to be getting stronger. Concerned that it has gone so long without food. I have been tempted to just end it for him, but part of me just can't. So, does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? No apparent injuries on the outside. Just slumped over and weak. Am I kidding myself? Should I just get rid of it? Can progress be so slow and it still get better? No experience with helping baby chicks. Mommas have always done that. I have only found dead ones in the past. The others seem to be thriving very well with their new mom. Thanks for any advice.[​IMG][​IMG]

Debi

2. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    If you have kept a sick bantam chick that you found barely conscious alive for a week using basic medication, basic nutrition, and an eye dropper, well, a standing ovation for you! That is above and beyond. I also applaud your clear willingness to do what is right for the animal and your unemotional perspective.

As long as this chick is isolated from others I would encourage you to keep going a little while. I don't see how it is harming the chick or anyone else. If you have read my posts you know I advocate instant death to sick chickens but this is clearly an interesting study in determination. Further, I think if it were truly ill it would not have made it. More likely stepped on or stunned in some manner.

Keep going. Post back with results!

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Congratulations to you! Keep up the good work. Could you make it some starter food mash..really runny and feed it that with the dropper? Maybe add a few drops of poly vi sol without iron to give it a boost? Good luck, if he's lived this long and is slowly getting better maybe the worst is over and he just needs a bigger boost in the right direction!

4. broodymomma

broodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    UPDATE********Still improving. Today I found the chick on the floor, it actually got out. That is good! Did not even have enough energy to even stand up before. So, we will continue. It is still not eating on it's own and that does concern me. Still doing the dropper.

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If you can, try enticing it to eat with a live mealworm [​IMG] Sometimes it just takes a special treat to get them eating again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by