Sick Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moodlymoo, Nov 5, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I dont know what to do. I have never had a sick chick or bird yet. I have a 2mo old black cochin in the brooder with 3 other birds we got a few weeks ago. She seems completely fine until you put her up to your ear. She sounds crackly when she breathes. I dont know what to do. All I have is Sulmet and I cant afford anything else since I am now a single parent of 4 on a very fixed income. Please help. I am very worried for this little gal, her 3 brooder mates and now for the 17 other girls I have in the coop outside. They are in my garage in a giant well ventilated topless dog crate. It has pine shavings, they are on medicated crumble, they have a heat light, and all seem happy, healthy, and very active.

What else can I do for her. All of them I am sure have been exposed so I plan on having to treat the other 3 in the brooder too.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    How long has she been like this?

Keep the four isolated as they are. I did some brief research on Sulmet, and it seems that you could use it if it were bacterial pneumonia, but I don't know if it would work in this case.

Perhaps in the meantime you could feed them probiotics to help their immune systems? Maybe there's a BYC member near you who has some extra antibiotic to share?

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    They are staying in the garage. I did fine a sav-a-chick packet and was thinking of mixing up a gallon of water with the vit/electrolytes and a dose of sulmet just to be safe. She has no discharge, no sneezing, no nothing but the crackly breathing. I checked on her this morning and it is a bit louder than last night. I cant loose her my kids will have a melt down considering their messed up emotional state currently.

The heat lamp is lower to keep them warmer since the garage is pretty cold. Its about 70 in the brooder. 3 of the 4 are feathered out pretty well, they sleep on the edge of light in the box. These are my 5th batch of chicks so I dont know what I did wrong.

4. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I just noticed it yesterday. I forgot to check them the day before with everything going on so maybe 2 or 3 days? Really I have had so much going on since last thursday when my life fell apart I have been sending my kids out to feed and water them.

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I would go ahead with the Sav-a-Chick for good measure.

I don't think you did anything wrong. These things happen. Could it be possible that her voice is just changing a bit? Where she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, I might be inclined to think so. I have on hen in particular that sounded very honky (like a sneezing donkey or something) when her voice started to change. I also have a couple two-months old now that even sound a bit congested, but I have no doubt that it's just their voices changing and their bodies growing.

I would keep an eye on her, and try not to worry too much (even though that's darn tough when you're a mom!).

Also, I'm very sorry you're going through a tough time. It may not seem like it, but it will get better.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    No it is not the voice change I went through that with my other girls. When you put her to your ear she sounds crackly wet goopy when she is breathing. You can hear it inside her.

7. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I would isolate her inside the house if you can where the temperature is a little more constant. Chickens really don't get colds, but back and forth temperature swings can cause upper/lower respiratory infections. Is she eating and drinking at all? I would consider placing her on antibiotics as a safe measure. Injectable Tylan 50 would be my first recommendation, if you are ok with giving injections because it is better on them. It would be easy to accidentally aspirate a chick if you tried to give it orally. Use the Sav-a-Chick or pedialyte to supplement the water, but let her drink on her own if you can. If she's not drinking on her own then I would try to use a syringe to drop water next to her closed mouth. She needs to drink more before you work on the eating if she's not.

8. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:She is totally normal except for the crackly sound when she is breathing. She is inside the garage with heat lamp and 3 other chicks in the brooder. They are about 8-10 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by