sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Robin L, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Two daysago I recieved 10 babies, 1 was getting pushed and walked on and I know to take it out. All she wants to do is stay warm, I cant get her to eat or drink. Anyone got advise? Thank you in advance for any help.
    I have 9 adult chickens that Ive had for a year but never had babies before.

I moved this to the right place. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    You can make her drink by dipping her beak in the water dish. I have also had some success making an adult bird that was in shock and completely comatose eat by slowly sprinkling food in front of her face. I doubt it would work for a chick though. You could always add vitamins or sugar to the water.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I had a little weak one when mine came in(lost two almost three that order) and it was doing the exact same thing. I kept dipping it's beak in water every few minutes...I figured if it won't eat either then I'll try to force it to get some nutrient through water...It had to swallow what it got when it's beak was dipped. It got to where it would drink finally but only while my hand hovered closely over the top of it, then finally on it's own. Now I have a beautiful 3 wk old blue silkie still thriving.

4. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the help but we lost baby Peeps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by